Continental ST5 Starter, 12 Volt, FAA-PMA Approved, by Skytec
ST5 series starters offer the following features:
- Best starter for 520 & 550 engines
- Powerful 2.2 kW high-torque, permanent magnet motor
- Faster cranking RPM - typically 10-25% faster than heavyweight starters.
- Light weight (9.4 lbs!)
- Proven gear reduction drive train tempers current draw
- TCM starter adapter friendly electromechanically engaged/disengaged drive system provides instantaneous release of the starter adapter wrap spring virtually eliminating starter-induced adapter wear
- Approved and recommended for ALL starter adapters ("classic style", "improved style", "permold", "sand cast", etc.)
- A simple, easy-to-install, bolt-off/bolt-on, maintenance-free starter that fits the entire "large" series Continental engines (with right-angle starter adapters) from O-300-D through TSIO-550 engines
- Attractively designed and affordably produced making it the first and only choice in lightweight large Teledyne Continental engine starters.
| ||Sky-Tec C24ST3||TCM 656181E24V "Iskra" Starter||Sky-Tec C24ST5|
|Weight||6.5 lbs||8.3 lbs||8.3 lbs|
|Rated Power (kW)||1.4 Kw||2.5 Kw||2.2 Kw|
|Tested Power @ 30 ft-lb (bHP)||2.8 bHP||2.2 bHP||2.9 bHP|
|Estimated Prop RPM||70||60||80|
|Static Resistance to Rotation||1-2 ft-lbs||8-10 ft-lbs||1-2 ft-lbs|
|Starter Adapter Safety Mechanism||Centrifugal Clutch Safe for ALL TCM starter adapters!||None||Electromechanical Solenoid Safe for ALL TCM starter adapters!|
|Pros||Lightweight Efficient||None||Powerful, Steady, Even, High Torque|
How much weight can it save?
The heavyweight OEM starters in most IO520 and TSIO550's weigh more than 16+ lbs. The ST5 weighs 9.4 lbs. for a total weight savings of approximately nearly 7 lbs.
How is the ST5 starter different?
The ST5 starter couples a high power 2.2 kW motor with an innovative solenoid-engaged (and disengaged) drive system completely disengages the powerful permanent magnet motor while the starter is unpowered eliminating possible TCM starter adapter wear while providing authoritative, high-RPM starting. Positive solenoid enabled engagement and disengagement allows the TCM starter adapter to fully unwrap under all normal operating conditions thus greatly prolonging starter adapter life.
How do I know which one to buy?
If your TCM engine has a right-angle starter adapter at the rear of the engine and a clean source of nearly located battery voltage, chances are this starter is the right one for your application.